This decadent Dark Chocolate Red Wine Cake covered in a sweet, red wine raspberry sauce is nothing but luscious.
For the Red Wine Chocolate Cake:
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour or cake flour
- 3/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup Iron Gate ‘Straight from the Heart’ raspberry red wine
- 1/2 cup light olive or vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For between the Layers:
- Red Raspberry Preserves
For the Ganache:
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 12 ounces of Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar
- 3 tablespoons of corn syrup this makes the ganache shiny
For the Red Wine Raspberry Sauce:
- 2 containers fresh raspberries
- 3/4 cup sugar, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Iron Gate ‘Straight from the Heart’ raspberry red wine
For the Red Wine Chocolate Cake: Sift all the dry ingredients together. Add the liquid ingredients and mix well. Pour batter into two prepared 8″ round pans. Bake at 350 for about 25-28 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
For between the Layers:Once the cake is cooled completely, spread raspberry preserves on the top of one 8″ round. Place the other 8″ round on top.
For the Ganache:In a pan over medium heat, add the chocolate and cream and stir until melted and combined. Stir constantly. Add the corn syrup and mix until combined. Remove from heat. Allow to cool about 5-10 minutes (ganache will thicken as it cools and become easier to spread and stay neat). Spread ganache around entire cake.
For the Red Wine Raspberry Sauce:Combine the raspberries and sugar in a small saucepan, mashing the raspberries a bit. Bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer and add the lemon juice. Simmer for 3 minutes then add in the Iron Gate ‘Straight from the Heart’ wine. Continue to simmer for 1 minute.
When ready to serve a slice of cake, spoon the Red Wine Raspberry Sauce onto the place. Set a slice of cake right into it and spoon more over the cake if desired.