Ingredients: (serves four)
- 1 cup basmati brown rice
- 2 stalks lemon grass
- 1 piece kombu
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. toasted cumin seed
- ½ cup toasted pine nuts
- 3 scallions sliced thin (about ½ cup)
- 1pound shrimp, shelled and deveined
- Zest from 2 limes
- Juice from 2 limes
- 2 tbsp. chipotle puree
- 8 bamboo skewers soaked in water
- Pickled mild chilies and jicama for around the plate
- 4 cups red oak leaf lettuce
Garnish with cilantro sprigs and a sprinkling of black sesame and pumpkin seeds.
1. Bring to a boil 2 cups water, lemon grass, kombu. Remove Kombu after 2-minutes. Remove lemon grass after 3 more minutes. Add rice, bring to a simmer, cover and cook on the lowest possible setting for 20-25 minutes till water has been absorbed but the rice is not sticking to pan.
2. While rice cooks, mix vinegar and sugar.
3. When rice is done (may be slightly toothy or al dente) add vinegar sugar mixture and stir to incorporate.
4. Toast cumin seed and pine nuts and set aside.
5. Slice scallions and reserve.
6. Whisk together lime zest, juice, and chipotle in large bowl, add shrimp and let marinate for 2 minutes. Fire the mesquite grill. Using two bamboo skewers, skewer one quarter of the shrimp at head and tail where one skewer has the tails and the other the head. This will make it easier to flip on the grill and prevent curling.
7. Cook shrimp over hot mesquite wood flame for 1-minute per side, remove from skewers and put back in marinate.
8. Spit oak leaf lettuce amongst 4 dinner plates.
9. Arrange pickled chilies and jicama in an alternating spokes pattern.
10. Mix rice with cumin seed, pine nuts, and scallions. Place ¼ of rice mounded in the center of the plate.
11. Fan shrimp on top of rice and garnish with cilantro and black sesame seeds.
Pair with Iron Gate Chambourcin.