Ingredients: (serves four)
- 8 prawns, peeled, deveined, rubbed with 2 tbsp. Jerk dry rub
- 1 large straight zucchini (at least 8” long and 1 ½” in diameter)
- 2 cups red oak leaf lettuce
- 2 cups mizuna (or arugula)
- 8 6” tall chive stalks
- 1 tbsp. peanut oil
- 2 tbsp. finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 mango, peeled and the large seed removed
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 8 drops of Tabasco
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar reduced to 1 tbsp.
- 8 bamboo skewers soaked in water
- Mandolin slicer
- Steaming basket
- Eye dropper
1. Slice the zucchini down the middle length wise and then slice length wise two 1/8” slices from each half so you use the fattest part of the zucchini. A mandolin is a huge help in getting an even long slice. Place zucchini strips flat (no overlapping) on a steam basket. Bring 1/2” of water to a boil in a large pot, place steam basket in pot, cover, reduce heat to simmer for 2 minutes until zucchini is soft and pliable but will not tear. Remove zucchini from heat and plunge into ice water for 15 seconds and then place on paper towel, drying both sides.
2. In a small sauté pan, heat peanut oil over medium heat until it shimmers. Off heat, stir in ginger.
3. In a blender or food processor, puree mango, salt, vinegar, sugar, Tabasco and peanut ginger oil. Pour into small zip lock baggie.
4. In a small non-reactive sauce pan bring the balsamic vinegar to a simmer and reduce to about 1 tbsp.
5. Fire the mesquite grill. Using two bamboo skewers, skewer one quarter of the shrimp at head and tail where one skewer has the tail and the other the head. This will make it easier to flip on the grill and prevent curling.
6. Cook shrimp over hot mesquite wood flame for 1 minute per side, remove from skewers.
7. Snip small 1/8” corner from the baggie with the mango sauce and pipe onto dinner plate, creating a design of your choice.
8. Form one piece of zucchini into a cylinder with about a ½ over lap and stand it on its edge in the center of the plate.
9. Alternate placing red oak leaf lettuce and mizuna into the zucchini with the stem to the plate and the lettuces sprouting from the plate.
10. 10 Stick two stalks of chive in the center of the lettuces. Stand the shrimp on the plate so that the tails are in the air.
11. Using an eye dropper, put drops of balsamic reduction on the plate and serve.
Pair with Iron Gate Brightleaf White